Although Batik is a flourishing trade this has come at a price :-
- Batik produces the highest annual emission of CO2 as a result of high dependency on kerosene and electricity.
- The Indonesian Ministry of Environment has identified batik as one of the worst river polluters in the country.
The Clean Batik Initiative, a 4 year program implemented the German Indonesian Chamber of Industry and Commerce. The Consisting of three components;- sustainable production, sustainable consumption and policy dialogues. By Supporting Batik producers and helping them produce cleaner and greener batik.
Clean Batik Initiative:-
- Trains batik makers in the art of clean batik
- Supports Green production
- Promotes producers internationally
- Supports an International Dialogue